Answers To Your Questions


Meghan: “I have interviewed for a job as an adjuster but they told me I need experience.  How do I get a job if I don’t have any experience?”

Answer:  Don’t give up Meghan.  Entry level jobs are available across the industry.  A great place to start may be as a Claims Call Center Representative, which is usually an entry level job that can act as a catalyst to other positions.  If you are able to obtain a designation such as the AIC while working as a Claims Call Center Rep there is a good chance that you’ll be considered for the next open adjusting position.

Derek:  “I bought a 1,400 sq.ft. house about 3 years ago. We have french drains along the north side of the house. Last March we had a heavy rain and the drains couldn’t keep up.  Water came into the basement through the windows and caused damage to my furnace and my water heater, not to mention boxes of just about everything from tools, and clothing and old family photos.  The insurance company said this is a flood and that there isn’t any coverage.  Isn’t there supposed to be some government declaration if there is a flood?  This wasn’t a huge flood like the town got flooded out or anything it was just too much water in my back yard.”

Answer: Hi Derek, very sorry to hear about the loss.  Unfortunately, almost every homeowner policy contains a water damage exclusion.  As an example, here is the water damage exclusion from an HO-3 policy:


c. Water Damage, meaning:

(1) Flood, surface water, waves, including tidal wave and tsunami, tides, tidal water, storm surge, overflow of any body of water, or spray from any of these, all whether or not driven by wind, including storm surge;

(2) Water which:

(a) Backs up through sewers or drains;

(b) Backs up or is otherwise discharged from a septic system or drain field, or related equipment or similar systems; or

(c) Overflows or is otherwise discharged from:

(i) A sump, sump pump, irrigation system, or related equipment; or

(ii) A roof drain, gutter, down spout, or similar fixtures or equipment;…”

In order for a claim like this to be covered, you would need a flood insurance policy, which is a separate coverage.

Charlie: “I am a retired police officer and someone suggested that I start working for insurance companies as an investigator.  I am 53 years old.  Where can I find out how to get a job like that?”

Answer: Police officers often obtain a private investigator’s license to do various types of investigative work for private individuals, businesses, and insurance companies.  If you were interested in that type of work, definitely get your PI license.  You could also become licensed to investigate and adjust liability claims if you obtain an adjuster’s license.  With your background you could interview to work directly for an insurer as an employee, or you could become an independent adjuster and work on a contract basis.  Many retired law enforcement professionals become part of an insurance company’s SIU department to investigate fraudulent claims.


Blog at

%d bloggers like this: